Friday 15 February 2008

Melbourne Life...

Diarmuid writes...

Tomorrow will be our five week anniversary of arriving in Melbourne - I must say it feels like longer. And given that this morning I finally installed our own wireless network it felt like it was time to post. Additionally, our "stuff" arrived in Melbourne yesterday. Unfortunately, all that means is that there is a container with our name on it sitting in the vast docks I see from the office, but we should have our furniture in a few weeks. Which will make the house feel more homely and less like a hotel.

So what have we been doing since we got here? Well one of the first things I did was jump on a plane to the US for ten days to remind myself what winter was like (very cold is the short answer!) leaving Heather to learn the intricacies of the Australian Open and how to get the best seats. She went 8 days and got very good at getting the best seats I'm told, which augurs well for next year's visitors. We've also been busy with other sporting events, including seeing the Soccerroos (sic?) take on the not so mighty Qatar and watching Australia v India at the MCG. The MCG experience is worthy of a post in its own right - we're going again on Friday so will leave that until then.

Apart from that, we've been busy exploring neighbourhoods and trying to find good restaurants to go to. That and walking by the beach. And I bought Heather a roadbike to explore with. No sailing yet but I've got a few leads of boats - just need to be less busy with work.

Which leads me onto the final news - Heather is "finally" looking for a job. And very disappointed with what she's found - apparently her skills are in high demand so there's a very real risk of her working again soon. But I'm sure she'll write about that herself...

No comments: